Questions about the Springfield, Ill area

My husband just told me that he is going to be working around Springfield, Ill or Taylorville, Ill for 6 months. Do any of you have any advise? I can't go until I finish 2 more weeks in this sling then 6 weeks of Physical therapy.
Does anyone know of an area to avoid... or to not miss.
Thank you in advance,