From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of james singer
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2008 4:44 PM
To: Garden Chat
Subject: [CHAT] Gadding

We drove down to Greer Gardens yesterday looking for rhododendrons. We were
a little late for the peak bloom season, but there were still many in bloom.
Greer is an interesting place--14 acres of mostly rhododendrons, but what
looked to be a fairly large selection of conifers as well. The staff was
very helpful. My sister had marked the ones in their catalog that she was
interested in; if they were still in bloom, they took us out in the field to
see them; if they were not in bloom, they showed us slides of the blooms. In
the end, we brought four home. Nice, healthy plants.

Today, we drove up to Heirloom Roses. What a fantastic place that turned out
to be. They have showcase/demonstration gardens along both sides of the
highway--and since the rose season is just coming on-- most were ablaze with
blooms. The gardens are set up several ways-- growth habit, fragrance,
heirloom/hybrid, on and on. In some of the gardens, the roses are
interplanted with other plants [iris, geranium, columbine, and lots of
things I didn't recognize] but in most of them, it's simply beds and beds of
roses. The paths through the beds are grass; there are shade trees and, for
the weary, benches. I'd sure like to have a wine-by-the-glass kiosk in the
midst of it. Brought home three ramblers to plant along the back fence
behind the new rhododendrons.

We thought about going to Forest Farm, too, until I found it with Map Point.
Good grief! I think the only way you can get there is to parachute in [it
may, in fact, have been D.B. Cooper's intended destination :)]

Island Jim
Willamette Valley
44.99 N 123.04 W
Elevation 148'