gardening question

although many others have more important issues in life with this crazy weather.... I do have a gardening question.
After the tornado went thru here, two of my trees (smoke tree and red
maple) both lost their main center trunk. All the leaves dried up and
the next windstorm took them away. It doesn't appear to have been hit by
lightening (no burn marks) or damaged (no split marks, cracks).

I have no idea why this happened. Many of the side branches are fine,
but I do realize I have to take these trees down.....although I may give
them some time and see if it comes back.