Re: Nursery Home Page

  • Subject: Re: Nursery Home Page
  • From: Maria <marolsh@verizon.net>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 00:39:12 -0400

Hello Gene,

I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you; I was poking around to locate a couple of examples of the sort of opaque splash pages I meant. I have seen a few fashion design pages like that recently but couldn't recall a single one. So http://www.burberry.com/ is the best example I could come up with. The front page takes a long time, even on broadband, to load a full-screen image and presents no immediately useful links, just a choice of markets and languages. The subsequent page isn't much better.

Today I clicked on http://www.bbg.org/ and was impressed by the economy, clarity and usefulness of every piece of information on the home page. Two current exhibits are highlighted with images compact enough to load quickly, and the other text links have descriptive subtitles that make them easy to navigate. Address and phone information is at the bottom of every page, as yours is. No gimmicks or gratuitous animations are wanted or needed.

The latest thing seems to be pages with a lot of dissolving images and other things simultaneously in motion. Your current home page is a model of restraint. By the way, my impulse is to click on the exquisite image mid-page and find out what plant it is. I think if you have a picture in the body of your page, it should pay off for the viewer.

Maria

Hello Maria,
	Can you give me a couple of examples that illustrate your
preferences for web home pages?
	I know that I have personal preferences when surfing, but to be
honest I am not "bothered" to any great extent by differing web sites. If I want to order I figure it out and order. So, since my web site is not about
me and my preferences, it is for the customer and their use, I am very
interested in your opinions.