Re: OT- Half Moon on the Hudson

  • Subject: Re: OT- Half Moon on the Hudson
  • From: Catharine Carpenter <cathycrc@comcast.net>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 10:36:31 -0500

Lived at West Point for two years in the mid seventies, and remember the area most fondly.
Cathy, west central IL, z5b

On Jun 8, 2009, at 8:03 AM, Aplfgcnys@aol.com wrote:

Cold Spring was jammed, and I heard that Beacon was too.
Celebrations were scheduled at Peekskill and Tarrytown, and
some of the other river towns.  I suspect the problem was that
they stayed too long at each of these.  The gathering on
Constitution Island was limited, but even so just about everyone
who was permitted was there - proably more than 50.
Constitution Island was the perfect spot for watching - it is opposite
West Point at a sharp bend in the river.  The spot where the great
chain across the Hudson was anchored during the Revolutionary
War.  While we were watching an enormous tanker came up the
river and it took it nearly fifteen minutes to complete the turn with
much backing and filling.
Auralie

In a message dated 6/8/2009 6:30:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time,