rambling rose

  • Subject: rambling rose
  • From: "Kitty" <kmrsy@comcast.net>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 13:26:23 -0500

I think I mentioned b4 that my Rosa 'Paul's Himalayan Musk Ramber' took a terrible hit last December in a storm. It had been a 30 footer, rising up the center of a Norway Maple and then out over the canopy. When I wrote a few months ago I was concerned about when to prune it and the concensus was to wait until after it bloomed. Well, it was completely shot, there's essentially nothing left.

New shoots are coming from the base which is on the south side of the tree. New shoots are also rising on the north side of the tree, apparently from roots that had circled around to that side. However, almost all the new shoots have scraggly, wavy, reddish leaves. Only one shoot resembles the original rose. I had thought that this rambler was an own-root rose, not grafted, so I am puzzled at the appearance of these new shoots.

What do you think I should do now?

Here is a link to the 3 photos

neIN, Zone 5