Apricot time

  • Subject: Apricot time
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 08:52:28 -0700

I was cleaning the pond filter when I noticed a huge flock of birds fly
out of the apricot tree. Uh-oh. Sure enough the apricots have just
enough color that the birds are going after them. From sad experience I
know that they can strip the tree in a day so I decided not to wait for
tree-ripened fruit. I picked about 6 or 8 pounds, everything that showed
a hint of color and would come off without a major yank. There's
probably that much more out there but are very green, I'm hoping that
the birds will leave them alone so they ripen a bit more.  Now I just
have to find space to ripen all those apricots in the  house.
Only 7 out of the 60 pepper seedlings I planted are alive. They were sad
little specimens to be sure so I am not surprised (note to self: do not
start seeds two months late, leave them steaming in a 110 degree
greenhouse, put them outside when the temps drop into the 50s, and then
plant them when it hits 90 again. Try to avoid the drop back into the
60s after you plant, too.)
Anyway I bought about 15 replacement peppers. I went to Home Depot and
to Lowes and then to a local nursery to see what the selection was. You
know what, the chain stores sell the same brand name of the same veggie
varieties for the same price (and not a huge selection either) and the
local place sells only flowers.  I guess everyone who's into veggies
starts their own seedlings too, funny we don't have something like a
farmer's market or better type of nursery.
Life in the high desert...we've been having major wind for at least two
weeks, every day is seeing 30mph or more and it's not overly warm
either. I was determined to get out last Thursday evening so my friend
and I took the dogs out, and it blew so hard there was spray coming off
the aqueduct.  Coming back we walked a mile to the cars leaning into the
wind and looking straight at the ground to avoid the wind and dirt; I
got back into the car and the side of my face was numb from the wind
pressure.  I thought, what an idiot I am...next time just get on the
treadmill!

Cyndi