RE: Mulch?
  • Subject: RE: Mulch?
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 14:21:52 -0700

I usually see wood chips - plain, not colored stuff - but I don't know
where its origin. You can buy it by the yard at nurseries.  It has bark
in it though, I don't think it is just chopped pallets. I don't recall
ever seeing colored mulch or pine needles. Home centers have wood or
bark mulch in bags, I imagine that's the same all over the US.
Caveat: I have a beautiful pine needle mulch in my teahouse garden. Of
course it's surrounded on 3 sides by about 20 pine trees...I just rake
it off the paths...
Gravel or rock is used in native or xeric gardens. I see a beige rock
used a lot in, mmmm what's the word, places like supermarket parking
lots, restaurants, or big complexes like here where I work. And I've
seen houses with fancy xeric landscaping use gravel.
I don't like rock or gravel because it takes too much maintenance.
You're thinking, what?? But it's true. If you put down landscape fabric
and then rock over it, the wind will blow enough dirt in just a couple
years that the whole thing has to come up and get shoveled out. If you
don't put landscape fabric, then your rock will just get covered over
and you'll have to either plant into it or again, shovel it up and
screen out the dirt. Of course, with my weedy patch I have no room to