beating back the jungle

so much for my plans to roundup the place today. the garden gods conspired against me. first it rained. then the wind blew with some fierceness. only good thing was i discovered a ripe atemoya, which i picked and ate, saving the seeds for a friend in miami who wants to try to grow one or three.

maybe the wind and rain will go away overnight. i hope so but the sky is still gray and yucky. and it is very humid. we have most of the windows open and all of the ceiling fans on [looks like rick's cafe in here].

i don't know if the goofy weather we've had this winter has anything to do with the way my fruit trees are blooming or not. the mangos are masses of blooms, the avocado must have several thousand blooms [and, in fact, looks weighed down by them], and the lychee has hundreds of blooms--and it did not bloom as all last year owing to a late cold spell. we have a lemon that we are growing as a shrub. it is right next to the driveway where the short one parks her car. it is in full bloom and, she says, is almost overwhelming when she gets out of the car.