Re: Re: tsuga

> From: Bonnie M. Holmes <holmesbm@usit.net>
> I have been trying to find the Carolina Hemlock at an affordable
price...is
> that the same as Eastern?  From what I have read, it is more heat
tolerant
> than the Canadian.  Does anyone have a source that is less than a
couple of
> hundred?
----------
Bonnie,

Carolina hemlock, Tsuga caroliniana is restricted to upper slopes of
the southern
        Appalachians.    It is not as tolerant of shearing as T.
canadensis, but possibly a bit more pollution tolerant.  The species
is seldom offered.  There are some cultivars listed sometimes in
specialty nurseries.

Eastern hemlock is the same as Canadian hemlock, T. canadensis,
native to the Appalachians and much of the northeastern US, down into
the Ohio Valley.  Many cultivars are out there - this is the species
you'll be most likely to find.

Neither one likes really hot climates, drought or wind, but you're
gonna have a lot better chance of finding T. canadensis.  Mine seem
to tolerate our hot, humid summers well.  I water them when it gets
really dry.  My hedge grows in the shade of a very large elm and a
couple of black locusts - the end under the very light locust shade
has done better than the end under the dense elm shade.

Musser Forests lists Tsuga canadensis - Canadian Hemlock,
 5-yr. Transplants    10-18" - 5/$30.95
http://www.musserforests.com/prod.asp?p=CAH

I have not ordered from them for some years, but bought all my yews
from them as transplants and was amazed at the huge root systems.  I
find T. canadensis not as fast a grower as the ubiquitous white pine,
but it's no slouch, either.  To get them at this type of price, you
need to buy small ones and let them grow on...in a few years (a blink
of the eye in garden time) you'll have trees taller than you are:-)
They also offer other sizes.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade