Re: Hello/now vegetables

Aw come on, Jim....turnips and rutabagas AND parsnips are yummy when
they are harvested before they get too mature and prepared properly.

I think that steamed until just right but not overdone, with a touch
of butter, salt and pepper and all veggies are much more than 'more
or less edible'...they're durn good.  About the only veg I boil is
potatoes and then only if I want to make gravy - generally steam them
too.

For some reason - maybe because they used tough, old specimens -
people used to boil the heck out of just about every veg....turning
most of them into inedible messes.  Might also be they just didn't
know about steaming as opposed to boiling.  This practice still goes
on, but not so much anymore I think with all the oriental cuisines
now available in the US, most of which seem veggie based to me - and
most of which rely on steaming as the cooking process.

David, you must have come from a 'boil it to death' family....too bad
it turned you against things like Brussels sprouts, which, if fresh,
young and steamed until just tender (about 12 - 15 minutes) are sweet
and don't even need added butter and seasonings to melt in your
mouth, but a touch of 'extras' makes them even better.

Try a little marjoram in your lima beans - just a touch - with
butter, salt and pepper...

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: Island Jim <jsinger@igc.org>
>
> amazing that vegetables should engender any kind of passion. aside
from a
> few dozen indian entrees, vegetables are just, well, vegetables as
near as
> i can tell. all of them cooked al dente and dressed with a drizzle
of sweet
> butter and white pepper, thank you, are more or less edible. all of
them,
> that is, except turnips, parsnips, and rutabagas--the existence of
which
> confirm the notion that god has a malicious sense of humor.
>

> At 06:16 PM 3/14/03 -0600, you wrote:
> >NO NO-- I am with Zem.... Fresh from my garden..yummy!
> >
> >Try adding some sauce (cheese or hollandaise) that is what I do
for the
> >picky folks that come here.
> >
> >And yes, I like all veggies..including lima beans...
> >
> >Donna
> >

> > > Oh, I can hack them!  I can hack them up all over the place!
> > >
> > > Sorry Zem, next to lima beans brussel sprouts are the lowest of
life
> > > forms.
> > >
> > > DF

Time,