Re: plants for DRY, semi-shade

A tough location, Andrea....well...you might try Euphorbia spp.
(myrsinites, characias, amygdaloides var. robbia); they will put up
with a good deal of dry.  Or assorted thymes; Salvia officinalis
('Purpurascens', 'Berggarten'); Helleborus argutifolius might do
there, too....maybe even H. foetidus; both take part shade, like some
sun and do well in dry, stony soil once established.  The annual
vinca might do or a lantana.  Lychnis coronaria is pretty tolerant of
dry soil and takes part shade.  In your climate, a lot of 'sun'
plants will take part shade and still bloom.

Portulaca is another annual.  Oh, and what about hens and chicks -
Sempervivums?  I saw a lovely lot of them growing on top of a stone
wall at Asiatica Nursery..no soil at all, really, full sun; tough
guys.  My lot is in a clay pot that got broken last fall - left it
out in the open, caved in side and all and they rode the awful winter
just fine.  They will take part shade...the colors may not be as
vibrant on those with colored leaves.  Assorted Sedums might also do
- the rock garden types; not the big ones like S. spectabile or
'Autumn Joy'...they need sufficient water tho' they do well in part

Native asters might also do the trick - something like A.
lateriflorus 'Horizontalis' or 'Lady in Black'.  They grow in my
gravel driveway just fine:-)

The problem with any perennial is that they need water to get
established so that they have a large enough root system to deal with
dry conditions, so they would probably need at least a good drink
twice a week.  You don't say how deep that planter is or whether it's
open to the ground at the bottom.  If it's deep and bottomless,
perennials will have a better chance once they get their roots down.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :