Re: smoke tree

> From: Tigerliley2@wmconnect.com
> Well Marge I have viburnum carlesii written down as well as mock
> orange.....there is also a lovely little dogwood called pagoda
dogwood which
> I believe can stand alone and not as an understory tree.....my
problem is as
> you can tell that I want one of everything, or two or three and I
only have a
> tiny yard.......

Tho' I've got a pretty large garden, I know that feeling well...it's
called plant lust:-) No way am I ever gonna be able to grow all the
plants I'd like to grow.

Anyway, did not know the pagoda dogwood, so did a bit of searching
and found that our own Chris Lindsey has 6 images up on the hort.net

It is a charming tree.  IMO, I'd go for that one - you get 4 season
interest there...good foliage; good fall color; nice flowers,
interesting fruit and probably an interesting winter form (have not
seen that, but C. florida has it, so this one might.).

You could get the dwarf form of V. carlesii for the scent as
well...whoever posted that said it only got about 3' tall, so would
be worth getting, IMO as they are very fragrant.  I had the species
for quite a few years; it died one year for some reason, and enjoyed
the fragrance each spring.  If the dwarf form is as fragrant, I'd say
go for it.

I'm not a Philadelphus (mock orange) fan - don't think they have very
nice form; foliage is boring (well, maybe the golden form might be
more interesting) and you only have the flowers for a brief period.
Winter form is blah...or rather messy blah - bark is not interesting
and branches are congested.  No fruit and no fall color that I've
seen on mine.  I hacked mine off at the ground last week and thought
good riddance.   After 15 years or so, it got on my nerves severely.
If that sucker comes back from the roots, I'll dig out the stump!

So, since you're limited for space, get a tree that will give you
something all year around and make the most of the space it

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :