Re: smoke tree

In a message dated 3/23/03 2:26:46 AM, mtalt@hort.net writes:

>Anyway, did not know the pagoda dogwood, so did a bit of searching
>and found that our own Chris Lindsey has 6 images up on the hort.net
Marge & Tigerlily, this is another favorite tree of mine.  I had a beautiful,
multi stemmed which we had to remove when we added the garden room.  This
spring I am removing a Prairie Fire Malus to be replaced with a pagoda.
Prairie Fire was the tree of the year a few years ago and is lovely when in
bloom, disease resistant but I detest its branching habits.  New growth grows
every which way including back into the heart of the tree.
    Tigerlily, I am not sure how you define small but the pagoda has a wide
spread which is one of its fine attributes.  Chris's photo did not show its
growth pattern but it grows in layers or tiers.  Just beautiful.  The photo
made it appear more as a shrub but is a tree form.