From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Kitty Morrissy
Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2003 12:40 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] smoke tree/coppicing

Generally you could rejuvenate an old lilac in any of the ways discussed.
However, from your description of it's location, I don't think any of the
techniques would yield a very nice shrub.  The problem is " several trees
have grown up around it."  If you cut it back all the way, it won't get any
sun, hence little or spindly growth.  If you only cut a third or so, it's
still only going to have growth and flowers at the top where it gets some

Thirteen years ago a neighbor said he was planning to take out his old
lilacs and told me I could have them when he got around to it.  Not much
more was said; then one day in August I came home and found all these huge
stumps, cut back to about 2 feet laying in my yard.  Fortunately, I'd
already prepared the area, so I set about installing them, but didn't have
a lot of hope.  Every one of them bounced back and within 2 years I was
getting blooms.

So my suggestion would be to dig it out from under the trees and reposition
it.  If that's just too much work, check the base for new shoots, dig them
out and start a new shrub or two.