Re: Clivia bloom was: Island Jim photos link.... newpics

In a message dated 03/22/2003 11:33:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mtalt@hort.net writes:

> Interesting Ceres...now, I wonder whether there is some correlation
> between temperature and when they bloom?  Mine has bloomed for such a
> short while - I mean in comparison to the amount of time I've grown
> it - that I have no data relating to when it blooms consistently.
> Anybody know or hazard a guess here?

I have grown my Clivia (common orange one) for more than 15 years - bought it
at about 1 inch high for a dollar at the Boston Flower Show.  It took it
about 5 years to get big enough to bloom, but has bloomed at irregular
intervals ever since.  I have had to divide it twice - the second time last
year when it totally broke out of its pot.  The whole side of a very heavy
ceramic pot just broke off!  I have never been able to figure out what causes
it to bloom or what its schedule.  It has bloomed in the late winter, early
spring and summer.  Don't remember it ever blooming in fall or early winter.
I put it out in a shady place in the summer and keep it beside a sunny window
in the winter - give it the same sort of watering and fertilizer I give the
other houseplants.  It seems to like the treatment, but I can't draw any
conclusions about why it blooms when.  Auralie