Re: roses

In a message dated 03/23/2003 5:23:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
cathyc@rnet.com writes:

> Speaking of roses, those of you in zones 5 and below, do you know of
> any hardy ramblers? I would dearly love to have one I could entice up a
> mature oak. Don't care particularly about maximizing the flower show,
> just would like to do it!

Cathy, I have an old Dorothy Perkins (she must be the oldest rose in
cultivation except for Rosa gallica - she grows like a weed in the Florida
panhandle where I grew up.) I didn't think it would grow here, since I knew
it was a southern rose, but an old lady gave me a start from hers about 25
years ago.  It has covered a shady bank and grows about 20 feet up a Kousa
dogwood - gives me lovely pink blooms all along the dogwood branches. I did
nothing to help it climb - it just took itself right up the tree. Of course
it's only a once-bloomer, and the flowers are anything but exhibition
quality, but I enjoy having it for sentimental reasons.  Auralie, Z5 New York