Re: Weather

Well, that old biddy, Ma Nature does NOT want to let her awful winter
go.  After 2 weeks around 60F and 70F yesterday, it snowed from dawn
to dark here today.  Didn't stick to roads or paths, but there's an
inch or so covering all the rest of the ground.  At least it is
offering some protection from the below freezing temps we are now
having for all the tender noses that have popped up in the last
couple of weeks (and, from whom I've been madly removing matted
fallen leaves).  3 weeks ago, I still had remnants of that big snow
on the ground with only daff noses starting up under it and, of
course, the stalwart snowdrops...now, all my Scilla, Puschkinia,
Galanthus, Hepatica and Hellebores are blooming away as well as the
early daffs.  Violets coming into bloom as well as Pulmonaria and
heavy flower buds on Corydalis and Virginia bluebells and ground
greening up all over with clumps of tender emerging foliage.

Knew she'd do this, the nasty old lady...just knew it.  And, after
freezing cold tonight and tomorrow, it's supposed to get around 75F
by Wed.!  Roller-coaster spring or (more probably) directly from
winter to summer.  Ma Nature is not on my favorites list right
now...she seems bent on making life for my plants as difficult as she
can - and she's good at that!...wonder what got her underwear in a
bundle this year, irascible old coot...

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade