From: Pamela J. Evans [mailto: gardenqueen@gbronline.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:44:35 -0600
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Slugger

Sugar's vet - Dr. Lisa does that too. She always got a couple extra
cats<br>roaming around the office that were dumped off there or she has
found.<br>She fixes 'em, gets their shots up to date and places them.
Good lady.<br>She great w/ her highness as naughty as she is at the vet.
She's a<br>gardener too, office closes at noon on Thursdays for that
----------------------------------<br>From: "Melody"
<mhobertm@excite.com><br>Reply-To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>Date: Thu, 26
Feb 2004 08:22:48 -0500 (EST)<br><br>>Kitty: You listen to the rest of
us talk at length about our children so<br>>we're always happy to hear
about your babies, too! Glad to hear you've<br>>got such a good guy for
a vet. Our small town vet and his assistant have<br>>taken it upon
themselves to capture and neuter as many of our large<br>>colony of
feral cats as they can...a community service project of sorts.<br>>They
try very hard to place them afterwards and if no luck, off to
the<br>>local no kill shelter they go. As a farm community we
unfortunately have<br>>lots of strays who reproduce more like bunnies
beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." <br>>--Albert
Einstein<br>><br>> --- On Tue 02/24, Kitty < kmrsy@comcast.net >
wrote:<br>>From: Kitty [mailto: kmrsy@comcast.net]<br>>To:
gardenchat@hort.net<br>>Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:22:45
times - he's the tough tomcat that rules<br>>the<br>neighborhood who
decided to spend the winter with us. He often<br>>sleeps in my<br>chair
in the family room most of the day and heads out<br>>at night to see
who<br>he can beat up. He's become very friendly and<br>>will curl up in
my lap....to<br>the consternation of Mick who absolutely<br>>hates his
that I'd like to neuter<br>him if I could get him to let me pick h

im<br>>up. He said to bring him in<br>anytime. Same day service.
However, after<br>>joining the ranks of the UnE, I<br>called to see if
anything else would<br>>be required. The total came to $170,<br>so I've
Slugger suddenly became very<br>>ill; limp as a ragdoll. So I slid
him<br>into the carrier with nary a<br>>struggle and hauled him off to
see Uncle Hugh.<br>Apparently he had some<br>>celulitis happening in his
leg and a scratch in a<br>delicate area. Dr.<br>>said he wasn't all that
ill and could be neutered and<br>started in<br>>about the Feluk and FIV
tests. He doesn't want to neuter a cat<br>just<br>>to then let it run
around spreading disease. I explained why<br>>I<br>couldn't manage that
and he just said, "Oh, we'll just do it for<br>>free then!"<br>I
protested, but he insisted. He also lowered the rate on<br>>the
castration a<br>bit from what I was quoted AND didn't charge me
for<br>>antibiotic injection.<br>So Slugger got neutered, treatment for
wounds,<br>>and vaccinations for<br>Rabies/Dist/Calci/Rhino-TR, tested
hate to ask for<br>>reduced rates, but I just can't spend $200 on
another cat.<br>However,<br>>between the doctor and myself I feel we're
both doing our share for<br>a<br>>stray that needs help and for the
community to prevent the spread<br>>of<br>disease and also to tame the
neighborhood bully - eventually<br>>MUCH<br>appreciated by the other
Excite! -

most personalized portal on the

ort hort.net -- join the hort.net fund
Evans<br>Kemp TX/zone