From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Kitty
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 10:29 AM
To: Agardenchat
Subject: [CHAT] re nursery interview apparel

I got the call yesterday.  I start working at Arbor Farms some time next
week.  I'm sure I would not have gotten this job but for the
Horticulture Educator at our CES.  He went to school with the owners and
called them on my behalf.  Any ideas on what sort of thank you I should
give him?

New thoughts on apparel:  I start next week - they'll let me know when
they get word of the expected arrival of their truck delivery from
Oregon.  Snow has melted and things will be muddy, so I figured I needed
some boots. Also, I am used to wearing canvas slipons all spring,
summer, fall.  These won't be the best thing for day-in, day-out on my
feet, so I decided to get some more durable leather tie shoes.  So I
went shopping yesterday for a sale on footwear.  Also got a pair of
cotton twill pants and 2 pair of jeans (I didn't have any).

Today I got a call from a nursery just 5 blocks away (AF is 10 miles)
responding to an unsolicited resume I had sent.  Oh well, I'm fairly
sure they wouldn't have paid what I'll get at AF.  I'm not going to get
rich at AF, but I will be able to pay my bills, though I won't be able
to save anything.  I'm looking at it as sort of like school or an
apprenticeship or 'paying my dues' to get some hands-on experience in
this field.  So, I'm still broke, but still in the black - more than I
can say for our govt!

I'm thrilled to embark on a new career.  I only hope I'm up to the task.
Thanks for the support you all have given me; it is truly appreciated,
much more than you can know.