Re: Garden Gala

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] Garden Gala
  • From: james singer <jsinger@igc.org>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 19:01:25 -0500

Be happy to, Jim. But I'm going to keep it in a pot for awhile. Got to figure out what it wants, although Pine Island is much like Venice island.

On Saturday, February 28, 2004, at 07:14 PM, James R. Fisher wrote:

james singer wrote:
The Pine Island "Garden Gala" yesterday was rather nice. It was sponsored by the Pine Island Garden Club and was a fund raiser. Lots of plants propagated by club members for sale at exceedingly reasonable prices.
The only thing I bought was a walking iris [Trimezia martinicensis]. Four-inch pot; $1.00. Someone asked me not long ago about walking iris and I had admit I'd never heard of it. So I had to buy one just to see how it behaves.
An interesting Irid; three large sepals and three smaller petals;
yellow or white with brown spotted centers.
and searching on Trimezia brings up a number of species, martinicensis
among them. Will be interesting to discover whether it's hardy for you :-)
it being from Martinique and South America; perhaps you'll report back ?
Jim Fisher
Vienna, Virginia USA
38.9 N 77.2 W
USDA Zone 7