RE: cherry

thanks- i knew you would have the answer to this!

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of james singer
Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2004 3:40 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] cherry

Both are Eugenias, Theresa, but markedly different species. They look
nothing alike. The Surinam cherry [E. uniflora] has glossy smallish
leaves [about 2" long] and a somewhat weepy growth habit. E. dombeyi
has flat green 5" leaves and a decidedly upright growth habit. If one
wanted a hedge or foundation shrub, E. uniflora would definitely be the
better choice.

There are also two cultivars of E. dombeyi, one produces yellow fruit
and one produces purple fruit. I bought the purple-fruited kind--the
flavor is rumored to be superior. So far as I know there is only one E.
uniflora, but much variation among individual plants as to fruit color
and taste. Color of ripe fruit can range from medium pink to dark red,
with dark red generally having the best flavor. I have three E.
uniflora. Only one of them produces good fruit; the other two have a
slight resinous aftertaste.

On Sunday, March 7, 2004, at 01:29 AM, Tchessie wrote:

> Jim what is the difference between the Brazilian cherry you bought and
> the
> plant called Surinam cherry.
>
> Theresa

Island Jim