Re: Buddleia davidii a noxious weed???

Well, Bonnie, those who live in warm climates have to be careful as
many plants will spread their wings in favorable climates.

While there are wildlife and birds who are very specific about their
diets, most will adapt and eat whatever they can get their little
paws or beaks around, whether it comes from native or 'exotic'
sources.  In the very specific group, I'm thinking about some
butterfly and moth larvae and birds like the woodthrush who prefer to
dine on certain items.

We, too see many fewer birds than we did 20 years ago; our feeder
populations are probably a quarter of what they were then...used to
have up to 20 PAIRS of cardinals; now only half a dozen or so.  I,
personally, think this is due to destruction of habitat by
construction - human activity.  This includes destruction of
contiguous cover and nesting sites as well as destruction of
wintering areas in South America for quite a few birds.

I read, some time ago, something by think it was Audobon Society,
concerning the need for contiguous woodland for many species of birds
- and depth of woodland.  We have reduced woodland so severely - cut
it up into small, separate bits, for instance, that the brown headed
cow bird is able to penetrate into areas it did not use to be able to
and parasitize many song bird nests, resulting in a significant
reduction in the song bird populations.

Humans have a lot to answer for IMO.  One day, the race will pay for
their millennia of heedless action...when this planet is a desert and
what's left of the race is sitting in some sort of bubble on Mars,
longing for the day it lived on that lovely 'blue' planet with all
the trees and water and birds and stuff...one of these days, Ma
Nature will get her revenge; it ain't nice to mess with her...

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635a

----------
> From: Bonnie Holmes <holmesbm@usit.net>
> I've been thinking about the exchanges re Buddleia davidii a
noxious
> weed? Those of you further north may not experience this problem
but I
> am seeing my Buddleia spreading like privet. I am constantly
pulling it
> out or repotting to give away (thus, perhaps, spreading the
problem). I
> never purchased a Nandina but now have three thriving in my yard
and
> have seen several in the wooded areas nearby. Some of my neighbors
have
> planted it so it think it spread that way. So, I am thinking that I
> might be spreading Buddleia as those who planted privet and
Paulownia,