Re: pruning cuts

Me too.

Except it depends on the diameter of the limb. If I can get my loppers around it, I usually make it in one cut. If it's a job for the bow saw or the pole saw, then it's a series of cuts.

On Monday, March 7, 2005, at 11:03 AM, Fort Wayne, IN wrote:

If I'm cutting a long limb, I cut it off about a foot out from where the cut
should be made to get rid of the weight. Then I go in and make the actual 3
required cuts.
Kitty

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of pdickson
Sent: Monday, March 07, 2005 7:46 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] pruning cuts

I see so many people that don't make the cut at the right place on the
collar. He talked a lot about how that long piece will have to rot down and
when it gets going that sometimes it doesn't stop at the collar... just
keeps on rotting until it kills the tree.
Another big point is to ALWAYS make several cuts to complete one cut. Start
with a little cut from underneath... so that when you cut from the top the
weight won't drop the limb and pull a strip off the tree from underneath.
Lots of good information that I am remembering in spurts!
Tricia