Re: Crotch of tree : vines etc?

I have bromeliads (mostly Billbergia, Aechmea and Neo's) growing in  the
crotches of my trees.  They do wonderful there with no soil, much like  they do in
nature.  I have read that the crotch should remain clear, it may  cause the
tree to die.  However, if this happens naturally, and the plants  all thrive,
how can it be harmful??  Is this only when one adds soil?   Apparently the
reason the Bromeliads do so well is because they use the debris  water that
naturally collects as fertilizer...collecting in the bromeliad  rather than the
crotch of the tree....however, the bromeliads are in the  crotch.  Any thoughts??

Along the same lines....meant to ask several times...I read that vines
climbing up a tree can kill it due to strangulation.  Is this true for all
evergreen vines, or only a few???  I have fig ivy climbing all over my  Silver Maple.
 It's all the way up to the very top.  I have not seen  any damage, it's been
like that for years.  What are your experiences,  thoughts??

Appreciate the input.

Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 3/6/2005 11:02:29 PM Central Standard Time,