Re: OT - who owns whom

Just yesterday I found 30 minutes of bbc world news broadcast by one of
the PBS stations here. Even watched it for a bit. Amazing to find there
is a world out there! They only had 20 seconds on Michael Jackson's
trial, and several minutes on the proliferation of very large dams in
China. It was nice to see some different topics. I was interested to see
a piece, although not "new" news, on the planned relocation of 2.2
million Ethiopians (I didn't realize the total number was that large).
The soil on their farms (from 2 acres down to 1/4 acre) up in the hills
has become depleted, and even when the rains come they can no longer
grow enough food. So the government is relocating them to new land
(relocation is voluntary, but it's really move or starve). The person
the BBC was profiling was very pleased with his new land.

HSBC is behind a huge number of sponsored cards. They were also last in
line owning our mortgage (another common buying/selling/consolidation I
could nicely live without). Can't seem to follow instructions on paying

Maryland zone 6

james singer <jsinger@igc.org> wrote:
Our news sources are already pretty limited, Kitty. If it wasn't for
the police blotter and handouts from the White House and the governor's
office, Tampa news readers wouldn't have anything to read.

On Wednesday, March 9, 2005, at 04:21 PM, Chapel Ridge Wal Mart
National Hearing Center wrote:

> I mentioned Hanoi Shanghai Bank Corporation awhile back, when I kept
> receiving invitations for a HSBC credit card. Today I was quite
> surprised
> when I read the fine print (I don't have a lot to do here at work) on
> an
> invitation for a General Motors credit card. The GM card is part of
> the
> HSBC group.
> Part of the reason I'm interested, especially today, in such things
> is....I
> settled down to watch the network news broadcasts last night.
> Locally, CBS,
> ABC, and NBC all air their evening news broadcasts at 6:30 and I tend
> flip around among the 3 channels. But at 6:30 NBC Nightly News was
> replaced
> by the local ABC affiliate's local broadcast. Yes, local ABC was being
> shown in place of nationwide NBC.
> It seems that the owner of the ABC affiliate bought the local NBC
> affiliate
> and upon taking posession, fired all but a handful of the local NBC
> staff.
> They say they can operate both stations more efficiently. Yeah, one
> news
> source for both. Of course they have to air NBC network news, but
> obviously
> don't want their news shows competing, so now it will be on at 7pm,
> while
> the other 2 are still aired at 6:30.
> No big deal? I am just so sick to death of everyone buying everyone
> else
> out. I think Burpee still owns Heronswood, unless some bigger
> conglomerate
> swallowed them all up. Marge's recent post about APHIS describes
> limited
> availability to plant material in the future. How limited will our
> news
> resources be?
> Kitty
Island Jim