Re: Desert wildflowers

Thanks, Cyndi. The reason I asked is because I have a photo of one I took at Death Valley maybe 20 years ago and never got it IDed until you just did it.
So thanks again.

On Mar 10, 2005, at 12:10 PM, Johnson Cyndi D Civ AFFTC/ITSR wrote:

The common name is "desert lily" (pretty unimaginative) and the botanical
name is Hesperocallis undulata. I'm told they don't come out unless
conditions are just right so you don't see them all that often. In the place
we were walking we saw ten or twelve plants.
It was sure a sight. The weekend after this one we plan on going to Death
Valley. I hope the bloom out there is still good.

Cyndi

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of james singer
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 8:56 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Desert wildflowers

Cyndi, do you know the name of that lily in IMG 1384?

On Mar 10, 2005, at 11:22 AM, Johnson Cyndi D Civ AFFTC/ITSR wrote:

This isn't exactly about gardening but at least there are flowers
involved.
Last weekend I went to Anza Borrego Desert State Park, close to the
California border with Mexico. The rains have brought forth an
incredible
display of wildflowers this year and I thought you might like to see
some
pictures. I am not the world's greatest photographer and the day was
mostly
gloomy (at least it didn't actually rain on us) so I didn't get
anything
real dazzling. But it was spectacular even so, I wish the pictures were
better. Click on the Anza Borrego folder.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gardencatalogs/my_photos

Cyndi

Island Jim
Southwest Florida