RE: I have undertaken the greatest challenge

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: RE: [CHAT] I have undertaken the greatest challenge
  • From: Libby Valentine grdner03@yahoo.com
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 13:55:43 -0800 (PST)

Good thought, Rich, especially re: veggies. I usually avoid even color
newsprint. These magazines are all at least 4 years old, maybe more (I'm
afraid to look to see what I have to admit to!) so although OG was a
proponent of things organic, I'm thinking they are old enough to be
petro-based.

My uphill neighbor spread something disgusting-smelling (chemical) on
his lawn Monday. So much for my organic efforts, but I will persevere!
Anyway, I think the ink will be minor over the longterm decomposition,
so after I look for manure articles these will go in the pile to become
garden lasagna for perennial/shrub beds. I will be spreading it over
grass, with mulch on top, so it taking a little longer than newsprint to
decompose should be just fine.

Libby
Maryland zone 6

Richard Apking <red4@omni-tech.net> wrote:
Hi Libby

Another thing you might consider, newer printed stuff is done with soy based
inks, the older ones were petroleum based. I think most publications will
have a small note saying that they are printed with soy based inks. I'd
certainly stay away from mulching/using petroleum based inks in my beds,
especially the veggie ones.