Re: Re: Wisteria

> We've had it since 1990.  Tried to cut roots, not fertilize with  nitrogen at
> all, not prune too early, etc.  It gets almost all day sun,  except the late
> hot afternoon.  Grows like CRAZY, but never  blooms.

I checked the cultivation section of the book 'Wisterias' by Peter Valder.
He talks about Wisteria that won't flower and says it's usually one or
more of these things:

   . the Wisteria is too young (although your 1990 date is OK)
   . not enough sun
   . too much water and/or nitrogen
   . improper pruning techniques

How is the water situation?  Is it possible that it received too much?  He
says that water will encourage new growth instead of flowerbuds.

Under pruning he says that heavy pruning, especially in the growing season
or in winter, can remove the parts of the plant that produce flowers.

The pruning seems to depend on the type of Wisteria grown.  I might've
missed it -- do you know what kind of Wisteria it is?

If not, maybe I can photocopy and mail you these pages.