Brix

Anybody know about brix? Like, brix is measured in "degrees"; how does this associate with "percent," if it does? And, are there established benchmarks published somewhere--so one can compare apples and oranges? I'm getting a refractometer [the organic guys say you can determine the fertilizer needs of plants by measuring the brix of leaf sap], so it would likely be more interesting if I knew what I was doing.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10