Re: phishing/scam email

One of the advantages--perhaps the only advantage--of not using either eBay or PayPal is that such bogus communiques are immediately transparent.

On Mar 3, 2007, at 11:54 AM, Theresa W wrote:

Hi all-

I've got to share with you that I received an email this AM, that is definitely the most subtle phishing email I've ever gotten. It looked almost exactly like an email the Ebay would forward from another member. The message indicates that "I am having some problems with my paypal account lately and it shows

me that i have received an amount of $100 from you for an item that was sold

on ebay but i am not the seller. What is happening? I think it's a mistake.

What should i do next?  Should I contact the authorities? "

Sounds reasonable right? Well, PC-cillin fortunately caught this and indicated that is was likely an email scam- so I went directly to my account on Ebay to check to see if the message was on there also. But, the message was not there- so definitely it was a scam. Kind of scary though- it appeared to be completely authentic. I'm kind of impressed that the PC-cillin software knew what it was right away and warned me.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10