Re: Today in my garden

I had no idea those plants bloomed. I've tried to grow them a few times, but there has always been a time when I forgot to water or was out of town and they dried out and died. Yours must be beautifu!
zem

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2008 1:31 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Today in my garden

Don't expect anything blooming here for another six weeks - we're
still ice-bound with temperatures not above 27 today.  The only
thing I have blooming is of an appropriate size - my Boweia has
a bunch of blooms - each nearly 1/4" across.  I wrote about this
plant back in December, but got no comments.  It has now grown
quite a mass of green tendrils, and has about a dozen of these
tiny greenish-white blooms, each on the tip of a tendril.  With a
magnifying glass I can see five recurved petals, five prominent
stamens and a very prominent pistil.  I don't know what the pollination
procedure is, so don't suppose I will get seeds - or if I could even
see them if I did.
I know this plant is native to South Africa, and that it is difficult to
propagate by division of the bulbous base, but since it has a flower
it must have seeds.  It's never bloomed before in the several years
I have had it.  Exciting!
Auralie

In a message dated 2/28/2008 12:23:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,