Half a nice weekend

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Half a nice weekend
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 09:34:03 -0700

We got not quite half a weekend of good weather. I'm certainly used to
being outside when it's cold and windy, but I expect it to be cold and
windy while I'm at work too, and when it's great during the week and bad
when I'm at home it's just so frustrating. But given what the rest of
the country is getting I shouldn't whine.  And now with extra daylight
after work I can get more things done, if I'm not lazy.
So once again we woke up Saturday morning to wind. We decided to ride
anyway, but we were out only about half as long as usual, and no one -
especially not the horses - objected to going back early.  I started
picking up debris in the veggie garden and husband decided he would
rototill for me right then. It just is not a good time playing with dirt
when it's windy.  He did all seven beds and I raked them smooth, but I
had so much dirt in my eyes I had to go inside after that.
Sunday afternoon the wind died down and I planted peas, lettuce,
spinach, and some cilantro. Actually the cilantro got done because I
didn't have enough spinach seed for a whole row.  I also forgot to soak
the pea seeds overnight, but oh well.  I've been calculating how I might
put in a few more things than I originally planned on, making spaces
among other plants and so forth,  I'll put some herbs in the front yard
and maybe I could hold some things in pots till there's room.  I can't
grow it all in bulk like I usually do, but some is better than nothing.
A couple more of my mesquite seeds have sprouted. They sure take their
time, I only now am seeing true leaves appear on the ones that came up
two weeks ago. I only have a few of the tomato seeds up as well, and I
don't expect to see peppers for a few more days.