Re: bad storms in Atlanta

They went north of us, and south of us, thank goodness. We had rain and some high winds, and couple of episodes of small hail, and I padded the bathtub ready to grab Diesel and duck (still can't get near the new cat, and the dog is too heavy to lift, so I agonized over that for a long time), but fortunately it wasn't needed.

One of the women in my Sunday School class had taken her kids and some of their friends to the zoo downtown. The zoo personnel announced the coming of the storm and ordered everyone to leave. She told a harrowing account of racing west on I-20 to get home, with her husband at home watching the radar and calling her on the cell phone to give directions on what streets to take to get out of the path. She made it with some hail damage, but intact.

We didn't have it so bad. We were awakened around 5 by the first wave, but it passed without incident other than branches and stuff to pick up, and a lot of noise.

I gave a talk on Invasive Non-Native Plants yesterday morning at the library, but I had a good crew of MGs to clean up and pack up while I answered questions afterwards for the audience. One of them came back in to warn me of the sky, so I ushered the rest of the audience out of the room and left. The sky was dark, but not green, and the clouds were low down on the mountain. I was out of town before it was any worse than rain.

When I got home, it was just starting to rain here and there was one loud Crack/Boom! as I was hustling into the house. I was really glad that I had unplugged the computer before I left! The forecast had been for quite a few hours between storms, including a good bit of sun, but that didn't happen. It was a long, long afternoon, but all is well here.

I just heard on the news that the historic Oakland Cemetery was heavily damaged. Too bad. It was a beautiful garden, and some of the old Oaks were saplings during the Civil War. http://www.oaklandcemetery.com/about.html

Daryl, been reading about tornadoes and severe weather in your neck of the
woods.  You ok over there?
Pam Evans
Kemp TX
zone 8A