Re: bad storms in Atlanta

Although a nice slow rain would have been nicer, is this helping your
drought issues? Seems you have been getting some storms lately..

  Glad to hear all is ok there.

DP <pulis@mindspring.com> wrote:
  They went north of us, and south of us, thank goodness. We had rain and some
high winds, and couple of episodes of small hail, and I padded the bathtub
ready to grab Diesel and duck (still can't get near the new cat, and the dog
is too heavy to lift, so I agonized over that for a long time), but
fortunately it wasn't needed.

One of the women in my Sunday School class had taken her kids and some of
their friends to the zoo downtown. The zoo personnel announced the coming of
the storm and ordered everyone to leave. She told a harrowing account of
racing west on I-20 to get home, with her husband at home watching the radar
and calling her on the cell phone to give directions on what streets to take
to get out of the path. She made it with some hail damage, but intact.

We didn't have it so bad. We were awakened around 5 by the first wave, but
it passed without incident other than branches and stuff to pick up, and a
lot of noise.

I gave a talk on Invasive Non-Native Plants yesterday morning at the
library, but I had a good crew of MGs to clean up and pack up while I
answered questions afterwards for the audience. One of them came back in to
warn me of the sky, so I ushered the rest of the audience out of the room
and left. The sky was dark, but not green, and the clouds were low down on
the mountain. I was out of town before it was any worse than rain.

When I got home, it was just starting to rain here and there was one loud
Crack/Boom! as I was hustling into the house. I was really glad that I had
unplugged the computer before I left! The forecast had been for quite a few
hours between storms, including a good bit of sun, but that didn't happen.
It was a long, long afternoon, but all is well here.

I just heard on the news that the historic Oakland Cemetery was heavily
damaged. Too bad. It was a beautiful garden, and some of the old Oaks were
saplings during the Civil War. http://www.oaklandcemetery.com/about.html