From: Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CG/SCSRT [mailto: cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 13:43:02 -0700
Subject: [CHAT] Happy Vernal Equinox!

I know I am late by a day but hey, it's spring! I was thinking of
all<br>the things I need to do, a constant occupation for me. Even
knowing that<br>I won't get to most of them I still like to think I
will. Some day.<br>We waited until last weekend to pull out the poor
rhododendron. I<br>figured it was hopeless but I left it anyway in case
of miracles. I<br>don't know why one short week of no water killed it
off - it was in<br>October, not really that hot - but nonetheless it
died. Husband kept<br>saying it could not have been the watering but eh,
it was happy before<br>we shut off the water and indubitably dead the
next week. Now I need<br>something to put in that northwest corner. I am
considering moving my<br>Japanese maple, which is struggling in the
teahouse garden. It isn't<br>very big so should be simple to do, and it
will get more shade and wind<br>protection there.<br>I broached the
subject of hiring gardeners to help me clean up the front<br>and you'd
have thought I

hit husband with a cattle prod. However, if<br>he's not willing for us
to spend money on it then by golly he's going to<br>help me. Some chores
don't require much critical thought, like trimming<br>the junipers and
pyracantha, so we'll see how it goes. And he is capable<br>of pulling
out grass from the dry garden, I will have to emphasize that<br>NOTHING
other than grass gets pulled, but if I repeat the rules ten or<br>twelve
times he'll be okay.<br>In the greenhouse I have peppers and tomatoes
sprouted, didn't get as<br>good germination from the peppers as I'd like
but they are quite slow<br>normally. I did the saltpeter trick on the
chiles and they did okay<br>except for the habaneros, none of them are
up and it's been two weeks.<br>We'll see. All but two of the twelve
mesquite pots have sprouts. I<br>should have made a control set too,
seeds that I did not scarify at all,<br>to see what would happen. I
decided I will transplant the mesquites<br>into 5-gallon containers

and put them in the veggie garden where they<br>can grow and be
regularly watered this year (and not eaten by rabbits or<br>gophers),
and hopefully next year I'll put them into the ground.<br>If the weather
is good I will not get much gardening done this weekend,<br>we have two
days of riding planned. If it's too windy to ride I can weed<br>and
start deadheading daffodils. Sure wish I had more free time,
but<br>that's the way it is now, I have to garden smarter I
suppose.<br>Speaking of free time I joined the Paperback Swap online,
much fun. I<br>started listing about 20 books and before I was done I
had orders for<br>five of them. Now I can get five more books! I don't
know when I'll get<br>to read them, but that's not the point.
text UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHAT<br><br>