Re: SUN - finally!
  • Subject: Re: SUN - finally!
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 16:59:44 EST

Well, we had wet snow and mid-30s on Thursday, and just as we
were getting ready for bed at around 10:00 PM a maple tree in the
front of the house fell across the power lines taking down electric,
cable, and telephone ( we maintain a land line in case of power
failures, though we have a telephone on both AT&T and cable).
By the next morning, the snow was pretty much over at around
16 inches, and the temperatures were still moderate, but because
of the power lines down across our driveway we could not let the
plow come through. To make a very long story short, we finally
got our power back about two hours ago, and the cable was
restored shortly after - AT&T has not showed up yet, and the
drive is still blocked with snow, but at least we are pretty much
back to normal  and should be able to get out by tomorrow.
Thanks to wonderful neighbors, we managed not
to have such a bad time.  I was able to warm the house on Friday
morning with a good fire in our Heatolator fireplace.  Then by noon
a neighbor had helped Chet start the small generator that gives us
heat, water, refrigeration, but no lights.  Another neighbor showed
up with cans of gas and kept us in fuel for several hours each day.
Between that and the fireplace we stayed cosy warm - it never did
get lower than the high 20s anyway.  I had shopped carefully on
Wednesday with the possibility of a snow storm in mind, so we had
enough food.  My kitchen has a gas stovetop and electric ovens,
with just this sort of situation in mind, so I was able to cook, even
if not to bake. All in all we made out pretty well, but I was about
to go stir-crazy with no access to the computer and several big
jobs pending.
What has really been strange about this storm is that the temperatures
have never been low.  It's been in the mid 40s today.
BUT when we are able to get out, what a mess!  Nearly every tree on
the property has broken branches.  Four dogwoods have serious
breaks.  The crabapple outside the kitchen has three large branches
broken.  The Scholar Tree has several limbs down.  There are at least
four large branches down from the White Pines by the pond. The
Mountain Laurel in front of the house has lost a major stem.  On and
on.  Every time I look out the window I see something else broken.
But at least we now have power. And we are so thankful for good
neighbors.  I kept thinking how much worse things could have been,
and, I'm sure, were for others.
In a message dated 2/28/2010 10:45:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,