From: Kitty Morrissy [mailto: kmrsy@earthlink.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 23:09:00 -0500
Subject: [CHAT] The letter

Regarding Rhea Edmonds' Living Section feature article (5/4/3) on
the<br>young greenhouse owner, Ryan Baker, I was appalled at her
opening<br>sentence. She wrote, "A long-lived stereotype identifying
plant and<br>flower gardening as girly..." What?? Ms. Edmonds did her
subject, Mr<br>Baker, and the entire horticultural community a great
disservice by<br>childishly (and unprofessionally) labeling men as
effeminate if they<br>possess an interest in this billion dollar
industry. By whose standards<br>(other than her own) does she believe
men who enjoy plants are "girly"? <br>She interviewed several men for
her article including Roger Moll,<br>Cooperative Extension Director. Did
she think them "girly"? Talk with<br>Allen County Horticultural
Educator, Ricky Kemery, about the back-braking<br>labor that flowers and
other plants require and she'll discover that<br>horticulture is not for
wimps. Most of my professors in my Horticulture<br>courses were men.
Many great garden wrt

iers are men. A large number of<br>our local Master Gardeners are men.
They will all gladly tell you that<br>they have endured sweat and pain
for the sake of beauty in our lives. <br>That is NOT "girly". This
stereotype exists only in the writer's mind<br>and she should have had
the good journalism sense to keep it to herself. <br>And the JG should
have had sense enough to assign this story to a more<br>capable
text UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHAT<br><br>