Re: Pagoda dogwood

Could be the soil pH. The attempts have always been at the edge of the woods, and the soil is more a sandy loam there. Can't help but puzzle why the "town" dogwoods are successful and most of the "county" dogwoods aren't. The town is built on limestone bluffs, for heavens sake!.

On Wednesday, May 21, 2003, at 02:26 AM, Marge Talt wrote:

I would also suspect that your soil is on the alkaline side, which is
why rhodies do not do well - and possibly another reason you've had
bad luck with C. florida; it prefers a soil on the acid side.  They
are also understory trees (my woods is full of them), and if you are
trying to grow it in full sun, it will be more likely to be stressed.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :

From: cathy carpenter <cathyc@rnet.com>

How do Pagodas hold up in our climate? I've always wanted one, but
dogwoods do not seem to do well in my area (dogwoods and
are the only shrubs/trees that nurseries will not guarantee). They
alright in town, but out here in the county....put it this way - I
planted four Cornus florida, lost three, and the fourth is clinging
life by its root hairs.
Cathy, west central IL, z5b