Re: Pagoda dogwood

I don't know about Pagodas, Cathy, but Cornus florida is one of those
trees whose provenance makes a difference.  For instance, if I were
to send you seed from the trees in my garden, it is most likely that
they would not prove hardy in yours although the tree is native into
the midwest.

So, where your local nurseries get their trees is an issue - and
where the seeds that grew them came from.  Most nurseries buy from
wholesalers who buy from growers all over the map.  If you could find
a C. florida growing well in your area and get some seed, most likely
the progeny would flourish for you.  Seed is not difficult to
germinate.  It needs to be fresh, cleaned of the red covering (a
thumbnail is good for this) and have a min. 140 day cold
stratification, which can be accomplished in the fridge or by
planting outside in the fall and protecting from rodents and
squirrels with some wire hardware cloth.

I would also suspect that your soil is on the alkaline side, which is
why rhodies do not do well - and possibly another reason you've had
bad luck with C. florida; it prefers a soil on the acid side.  They
are also understory trees (my woods is full of them), and if you are
trying to grow it in full sun, it will be more likely to be stressed.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :