Re: pruning hibs was: What is this strange item?

You sure did, David...many thanks.  At this point, I have one flower
and the rest are pretty much bare branches with emerging leaf buds,
as they are trying to recover from wintering in the garage, which
they don't exactly love, but they like it better than in the house
because the humidity is higher and they don't get covered with bugs
from hot, dry air.   They manage to hang onto their leaves until
around about first of March when they always defoliate...guess about
that time, they've really had it with the garage life.

 I need to repot them...it's on my list; been years:-)  Poor dears,
they just begin to enjoy life outside over summer when it's time to
haul them in again...they are too big to fit in the greenhouse, so
they get relegated to the garage next to the g.h. opening.

I will take a sharp look at them; maybe some more snipping will take
place this spring and I'll just wait for flowers or maybe they'll get
to be leggy this year and I'll get flowers sooner...but, now I KNOW
what I need to do, which I never have before...

Thanks again!

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

> From: David Franzman <dfranzma@pacbell.net>
>
> Well by god Marge finally a question I can answer for you.  Thought
this
> day would never happen.
>
> Hibs bloom on new growth.  If you prune the entire plant at the
same
> time you can expect to wait about 10 weeks before they will bloom
> again...assuming you are feeding and giving them plenty of light.
What