Re: zone map

You're right, the Sunset Zones are much more useful than the USDA zones, at
least in the West.

I was hoping that when new zone maps came out, they would use more data,
rather than less and  not just temperatures, but also humidity.

Failing that, then at least data from more years should be used, and also
more, rather than fewer subdivisions in temperature. I'd like to see a Zone
map that would have not only a and b zones, but also c's and d's.

Daryl

> I've never quite understood the zone map.  Never quite made sense to
> me....considering all the different variables.  I don't even think the a
and b's would
> be sufficient.
>
>  Many years ago, I got the Western Gardening book...then they came out
with
> the National Gardening book.  I very much appreciated the zoning they use,
> although confusing in that it uses so many numbers, it seems much more
appropriate
> for the different areas.  I believe it is called the Sunset zone??  Don't
> have the book in front of me to get the exact name they use.
>
> Noreen
> zone 9....for what it's worth
> Texas Gulf Coast (although I live in "unincorporated" Houston, my soil,
> climate, etc. does not match that of Houston, but rather the Gulf Coast
area.)