Re: Re: New USDA Zone Map/ plant labels

Hello Donna,
    I am beginning to think we need to through out all plant labels and
start all over. We do most of ours by hand here and it has only the name ...
nothing more. You can ask questions, or better yet read the catalog or do
your homework. Plant labels on the market are so general and trying to
please so many gardeners from so many areas of the country as to be useless.
Worse yet, confusing to those new to gardening or not familiar with the
exact plant. Downright dysfunctional. Trying to be too many things to too
many people.
    I have labels out here supplied with some of my ferns that tell you to
plant them in full sun. Perhaps some places and in some circumstances... but
not here. But, those labels are printed to cover all the US and European
markets. When you visit my nursery you are generally from this region.
    Gardeners are expecting too much from a label. Learn about your plants
or shop where you can get your questions answered... and make the purchase
there where someone took the time to assist you.
    Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
Zone 6/5  Southern Indiana