Re: mulch NOW Names

In a message dated 05/13/2004 9:12:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Zemuly@aol.com writes:

> For many generations in my father's family the first daughter was given the
> name of both her paternal and maternal grandmothers.

Same here, Zem.  When I was born I was named for my two maternal grandmothers
- Martha Grace.  But when my mother died five months later they  changed my
birth certificate to show her name, Auralie.  Now the story was that her
father, Grace's husband, had named her for his first love who he claimed was the
most beautiful woman he ever saw.  Grace was no beauty even when she was young.
Then twenty years later my father, with a second wife, had another daughter,
and again named her for the two maternal grandmothers - Martha Jean.  I have
never quite gotten over that - I felt that they gave her my name and that I was
a non-person to my father's family.  I know, intellectually, that was not
true, but that's the way I felt then.  And I always felt much more like a Martha
than like an Auralie, especially since Grace never failed to assure me that I
was no match for either of the earlier Auralies.
Oh well.  It just made me tougher and more determined to be myself.
Names have strange powers, don't they.  A rose by any other name might be a
real stinker.