From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of Andrea H
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2004 5:44 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] looking for help

One of my first suggestions if she's new to gardening would be to go and buy
a really good local gardening book. One with lots of pictures! That will
certainly help identify some of her plants. Also, I always recommend
planting slowly when you first move into a new place until you get an idea
of where the sun will be when. It took me several  years to get everything
in the right spot when I first started gardening. if I had paid closer
attention to sun vs. shade plants, and where the sun and shade was during
the seasons I think many more of my plants would have survived. I think the
Southern Living Gardening Book includes MD and they just came out with a new
edition that is wonderful.

Also, if there is a university with a horticulture program nearby, maybe a
class could come out and have the instructor do some teaching . That would
help for sure.

Andrea H
Beaufort, SC