Re: gardenpix

> From: Melody <mhobertm@excite.com>
> 1.  What is the tall plant across the path from the dianthus in the
sand bed?
> 2.  What is the little green plant in the foreground of the picture
w/ the heuchera/pansies?
----------

Thanks for your kind comments, Melody.

Well, #1 - the tall plant with the purple foliage (that's the one you
mean, right) is Lysimachia ciliata 'Purpurea', which may also be
called 'Firecracker' according to a note I have.  It has yellow
flowers around end of May.  It also has world conquest visions, but
that's OK as the bed it's in has never been "officially" planted on
account of this stone wall between those wood columns that I haven't
finished building (only been 10 years or so).  So, I just let whoever
seed around in there.  I plant my big brugs and Canna 'Wyoming' in
the left part of that bed (out of camera range) every summer.

#2 - there are 2 little green plants sort of in front of the
pansy...looking at the image, slightly to the left and leaning over
the edge of the bed is a flowerhead of Euphorbia amygdaloides 'Rubra'
 -   bit past its prime - belongs to the upright plant radiating the
linear blue/green foliage with the reddish cast and light central
line to the leaf and reddish stems to the right of the pansy and in
the rear of the bed.

Growing up from a paving crack outside the bed - directly under the
pansy-  is a self sown seedling of Carex phyllocephala 'Sparkler' -
it seeds around like mad, but they come up green, not variegated.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi