From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Bonnie & Bill Morgan
Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2004 10:56 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: RE: Re: [CHAT] Peonies for the South

Pam, do you have any grass left in your yard?  Then there's room for a
new bed! LOL!!!

My back's pretty sore right now from digging another 4' X 6' area for
mom's peonies.  I got the one clump in (now about 6 smaller clumps when
the roots
separated.)  I shutter to think how much more digging I need to do for
the rest of her peonies!  UGH!  I made a raised bed for them because the
roots were so long and so deep, not to mention thick!  They were well
watered.  I tried to put mulch over them, but the mulch pile I used must
have an ant colony in it.  Talk about a biting swarm!  I've got to get
new mulch. Hopefully, next Sunday when I go back to Indy, I'll be able
to see what color the rest of the peonies are so I can get a sample of
each variety mother has.  I'm not sure how I'll color code them as I dig
them out.

I received a number of iris in swaps with folks at work and elsewhere
last year.  This is the first year I've seen them bloom.  One is the
most delicate sky blue that literally glistens in the sunlight.  One
looks like dry champagne edged in a sweet merlot.  Another is a white
variety that is stunning in its own right.  There is one clump in the
patriotic garden that has not yet revealed its color, but I can hardly
wait!  Everything is so full, I know I'll be busy next spring (or later
this season) dividing and removing extra's.  One of my neighbors had
reminded me of my plan to line at least the North side of the driveway
with a border.  She thought it was pretty ambitious at the time, but has
been impressed with the progress I've made.  At the rate I'm going, it
will take more than a 29 year plan.  (If the driveway were much longer,
some might think it was a lane.

Blessings,
Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)

Blessings,