RE: Re: Peonies for the South

Pam, do you have any grass left in your yard?  Then there's room for a new
bed! LOL!!!

My back's pretty sore right now from digging another 4' X 6' area for mom's
peonies.  I got the one clump in (now about 6 smaller clumps when the roots
separated.)  I shutter to think how much more digging I need to do for the
rest of her peonies!  UGH!  I made a raised bed for them because the roots
were so long and so deep, not to mention thick!  They were well watered.  I
tried to put mulch over them, but the mulch pile I used must have an ant
colony in it.  Talk about a biting swarm!  I've got to get new mulch.
Hopefully, next Sunday when I go back to Indy, I'll be able to see what
color the rest of the peonies are so I can get a sample of each variety
mother has.  I'm not sure how I'll color code them as I dig them out.

I received a number of iris in swaps with folks at work and elsewhere last
year.  This is the first year I've seen them bloom.  One is the most
delicate sky blue that literally glistens in the sunlight.  One looks like
dry champagne edged in a sweet merlot.  Another is a white variety that is
stunning in its own right.  There is one clump in the patriotic garden that
has not yet revealed its color, but I can hardly wait!  Everything is so
full, I know I'll be busy next spring (or later this season) dividing and
removing extra's.  One of my neighbors had reminded me of my plan to line at
least the North side of the driveway with a border.  She thought it was
pretty ambitious at the time, but has been impressed with the progress I've
made.  At the rate I'm going, it will take more than a 29 year plan.  (If
the driveway were much longer, some might think it was a lane.

Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)

Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)