Re: gardenpix/ carex

> From: Melody <mhobertm@excite.com>
> Thanks Marge...I'll have to see if I can find this one. I've really
come
> to love grasses for the upright structure they give to a garden,
yet
> with so much flowing gracefulness they add just a beautiful touch
of
> softness.
----------

You're most welcome, Melody.  I think it should be readily available,
at least via mailorder, if not locally.  I know Tony Avent carries a
variegated form - which I have not seen in person.  Also, if you
can't find the plant, the seeds germinated easily for me and those
may be available.  Do a Google on it and you should turn up some
nurseries that carry it.

I agree, ornamental grasses (and their cousins the sedges) are
indispensable in the garden for their texture - and color as some are
simply lovely - golds, variegateds, whites and the black of
Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Nigresces', which isn't a grass, but looks
like one:-)

A spreader, but controllable, that is very nice and should be hardy
for you is blue lyme grass -Elymus  arenarius.  It has a fairly
upright habit with some graceful bending and really blue foliage.
While I have to pull it out when it gets out of bounds, I wouldn't be
without it.

http://snipurl.com/6jkh

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net