From: Marge Talt [mailto: mtalt@hort.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 00:32:43 -0400
Subject: Re: [CHAT] gardenpix/ carex

> From: Melody <mhobertm@excite.com><br>> Thanks Marge...I'll have to
see if I can find this one. I've really<br>come<br>> to love grasses for
the upright structure they give to a garden,<br>yet<br>> with so much
flowing gracefulness they add just a beautiful touch<br>of<br>>
should be readily available,<br>at least via mailorder, if not locally.
I know Tony Avent carries a<br>variegated form - which I have not seen
in person. Also, if you<br>can't find the plant, the seeds germinated
easily for me and those<br>may be available. Do a Google on it and you
ornamental grasses (and their cousins the sedges) are<br>indispensable
in the garden for their texture - and color as some are<br>simply lovely
- golds, variegateds, whites and the black of<br>Ophiopogon planiscapus
spreader, but controllable, that is very nice and should be hardy<br>for
you is blue lyme grass -Elymus arenarius. It has a fairly<br>upright
habit with some graceful bending and really blue foliage. <br>While I
have to pull it out when it gets out of bounds, I wouldn't be<br>without
Maryland<br>mtalt@hort.net<br>Editor: Gardening in
Article: Battling
Index of Articles by Category and
Suite101.com garden topics